Thursday, September 24, 2015

3 Effective and Motivated Camera Movements


"The Shining" Tracking Shot

Kubrick was very well known for his long tracking shots in other movies such as 2001: A Space Odyssey and Paths of Glory. The tracking shot of the little boy riding his tricycle in The Shining is one of my favorites.



"American Beauty" Fly Over Shot


The opening scene after the title card in American Beauty, the narrator introduces us to his life while the camera flies over his neighborhood. The interesting thing about this shot is that in the very last shot of the movie is the exact same shot from the beginning, but in reverse. As this is happening, the narrator concludes his story in the same way he introduced his story.





"A Clockwork Orange" Pull Back Retraction Shot

Another Kubrick movie, but I watched A Clockwork Orange recently and this scene sticks out in my head immediately when I think of this kind of shot. This is the opening scene; we are being introduced to the main character, who is also the narrator, and learning about the nature of their futuristic society in one take.

1 comment:

  1. Dearest Sydnee, I am glad you included works from Kubrick. He has quickly become one of my favorite directors because of his camera movement. I really like all of the ones you chose. My favorite is the one with Danny on the tricycle. You get a sense of the geography of the Overlook Hotel.

    ReplyDelete