Thursday, August 27, 2015

10 Things I Like to Watch

1. Archer


Like I said in class, the show I am watching most right now is Archer, so in part I am obviously a huge fan of Bob's Burgers too, but that's for another day. Archer was created by Adam Reed, who also directs the show and voices one of the characters, Ray Gillette.


But, Gillette's body model is the voice actor for another character on the show, Dr. Krieger. Which brings me to one of the reasons I love this show so much, every characters face on the show actually exists in real life. You can see all the characters and their body models here.


2. Dazed and Confused


Alright, alright, alright...the most iconic words to have ever been spoken by Matthew McConaughey. McConaughey's depiction of Wooderson is just one of so many fantastic performances in this cult classic directed by Richard Linklater. Below is another one of McConaughey's most memorable lines in Dazed and Confused.


The plot of this film is pretty simple, it's a day in the life of your average teenager in a small town on the very last day of school/first night of summer. Commence the hazing of rising freshmen by rising seniors, and don't forget the kick-ass soundtrack. Here is a clip of my favorite scene from Dazed and Confused.



3. Friends

Pivot. Pivot! PIVOOOOT!

Best. Show. EVER! Friends, as most of you probably know, started in 1994 and ran for 10 seasons until the final two-part episode, "The Last One", aired on May 6, 2004. Created by David Crane and Marta Kauffman, Friends has proven to be one of the greatest shows with its title on list's such as TV Guide and TIME Magazine's best shows of all time. If you are an avid Friends watcher like me, you most likely noticed that every episode title begins with, "The One...". As you also may have noticed, the name of my  blog is "The One with the Embryos", which is in fact my favorite episode, and this is why.

4. The Grand Budapest Hotel

If you haven't watched The Grand Budapest Hotel, I would suggest you drop everything you're doing and watch it now. I won't lie, The Grand Budapest was my first Wes Anderson movie, and I immediately fell in love with his style. The color palette, score, dark-comedic tone, precise/angular camera movements and the cast of course are just some of my favorite things about this film.




5. Scrubs

The Bromance that is J.D. and Turk (real life bromance Zach Braff and Donal Faison) is the best bromance in TV history...in my opinion. Scrubs was created and directed by Bill Lawrence (fun fact: Bill Lawrence is also the creator of Cougar Town, starring Courteney Cox, who makes a cameo in Scrubs, and Christa Miller, who also stars as Jordan in Scrubs). My favorite character, other than J.D. and Turk, is the extremely damaged, yet brilliantly-hilarious Dr. Cox. Here are some of the best moments from Dr. Cox.

6. Airplane!
I don't even know where to begin with Airplane! When I first watched this movie, I watched it 4 times in 2 days. Every time I watched it I found more and more small nuances that made me laugh even more than the time berfore. The writing and all the tiny details that went into the making of this film make it one of the most hilarious movies I have ever seen. Airplane! was released in 1980 and was written and directed by Jim Abrahams and David Zucker. Here is one of my favorite scenes.


7. American Horror Story


I feel like a lot of people forget about the first season of American Horror Story, but for me it was probably my favorite season. How can you not love Violet and Tate?!


The creators, Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk, are also the creators of Glee and the new FOX series, Scream Queens, which you can bet I'll be watching this fall. The directing style in all 4 seasons of American Horror Story is very stylized and to me -- and many other people -- it is very appealing to the eye. The repeat cast, but change of abstract storyline and characters, makes this show so unique. 

8. Pretty in Pink

You've gotta love a good John Hughes movie. Well pretty much all of them are good, but if I had to choose one, I would choose Pretty in Pink purely because of one scene that is a favorite of my mom and I. It involves Jon Cryer's character, Duckie, serenading Molly Ringwald's character, Andie, in her workplace. See it for yourself...


Side note: They recreated this scene on an episode of The Late Late Show with James Corden. Look here!

9. Penny Dreadful


There are so many things I can go on and on about when I'm talking about Penny Dreadful. Just to name a few things the cast, costume design, and set design are all superb. But the thing I find the most interesting about the making of Penny Dreadful and why I love and respect this show so much, is the energy that goes into make-up and prosthetics of the monsters. Here is a behind the scenes clip that can explain more.


10. Avatar


I had to end this list with a bang and hit you with the highest grossing movie of all time, Avatar. Directed by the amazing, James Cameron, who also brought you the second highest grossing movie in history, Titanic. The first time I watched Avatar I was sitting in my very last class of my senior year of high school as we had finished our final exams. We had an hour and a half to kill so we watched Avatar. I was immediately entranced...it is such a visually stunning movie with a beautifully written story. One of my favorite scenes from this history-making film is when Zoe Saldana's character, Neytiri, saves Sam Worthington's character, Jake Sully.

5 comments:

  1. Archer and American Horror Story?!?!? How have we not hung out haha. I love the animation in Archer and I also love how much it progresses with its use of 3d graphics. You'll notice it in season 5. I also feel the first season of American Horror Story is the best. Dylan McDermott is a bad ass and the show had a great cast. The lighting in the show was very well done and gave us almost a 70s vibe in times. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even if you don't like Wes Anderson you have to admit that you're a little inspired by his photography. Just look at it! The colors and angles he uses to tell his quirky stories are so uniquely him. As filmmakers we should strive to create a style that is uniquely us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree about the color palette of Wes Anderson films! I would recommend you check out his other films! Did you not watch Bottle Rocket with us in 315 last semester? I like his films because there's a lot of symmetry and they are super visually appealing! I am also glad you have Avatar and Friends on here! Those two hold a special space in my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Avatar is a gorgeous movie. The colors and amount of detail was superb. With this movie being mostly CGI, Avatar in my opinion really showed people how powerful CGI can be. Can't wait for the sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Airplane!! Im glad you put it on your list, it seems like the older movies are lost on this generation. Leslie Nielsen is so funny and honestly a good actor in my opinion, it takes a lot of talent to be that believably ridiculous. The Naked Gun series is a classic

    ReplyDelete