Wednesday, December 9, 2015



Artist Statement

I haven’t always wanted to make movies my whole life. But when I was a kid, movies were my escape from reality. Movies made me happy and sad and made my emotions fly in different directions that I didn’t know they could go. When I realized that this is what I wanted to do, I knew that I wanted to make people happy. I wanted to make people feel their emotions to the fullest. Mostly, though, I wanted to make people laugh.

Comedy narratives have always been my favorite movies to watch, and as a writer I am strongest writing comedy over any other genre. As I mentioned earlier, I didn’t know that this was the career path I wanted to take my whole life, so there’s no movie that I can remember seeing as a kid that made me know that making movies was what I was going to do. But as an adult now with a passion for filmmaking, there was one movie that I saw last year that inspired me to find my style. That movie is The Grand Budapest Hotel by Wes Anderson. This was actually the first Wes Anderson film I had ever seen. I have since seen Bottle Rocket and clips of his other movies, and he has definitely found his style and knows who he is as an artist. Watching his works makes me so passionate about finding myself in the same way.

I definitely don’t think that I have a full grasp of who I am as a filmmaker, and I think that’s okay. I’ve only been studying film and producing material for a few years now, so I am positive I haven’t found my style yet, but it takes time. It takes many tries and failures to figure it out. I do know, though, that I am the type of person who learns from her failures and learns from experience, and not just from reading books and taking tests. I am excited to see where my work goes in the future and how my style develops over the years - to see how my style embodies me as an artist.


Sydnee Nelson Reel from UA, Telecommunication and Film on Vimeo.

9 comments:

  1. Sydnee! My Archer buddy!! I loved your scene assignment this year so kudos for that! Secondly, you killed the intro to your reel! The anticipation works great and I couldn't wait to see what was to come when the amp came on. Loved your doc assignment and the closeups are beautiful. I hope to work with you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool reel Sydnee. I love watching everyone's work and seeing footage I didn't even know that person had. You have a very obvious aesthetic which is really refreshing to see. You are consistent in your style which I think works in your favor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Close-Up shots on the guitar and the amplifier. You did a really great job with this. You are really good at framing the shots. I like that everything is tighter rather than wide shots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the opening shots of the amp and the introduction of the music! Your reel has a great flow and was REELy badass (I can't get enough of the reel puns). The close-ups look great! Keep up the good work! I also hope to work with you in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the way you orchestrated the first shots with the close up of the amp right before the music starts. Everything flowed together really really well in this reel. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really loved watching your reel! I especially love the way it opens with the amp and then the music kicks in. I liked how most of your shots were tight, I think the close-ups look really great! You did an awesome job and I can't wait to see more work you do in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the handheld shot you did for Colson's scene assignment. It was so smooth! I am also a fan of Wes Anderson. I can relate wanting to be able to tell a story the way that he does. I appreciate that you're still open to growing as a film maker. I look forward to seeing what styles you grow into and produce!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved the ECUs for your Doc assignment, they were really well done! Also liked the CUs of Naomi and Tanner- they showed a lot of emotion in the characters. You're great at tight shots! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sydnee, dem closeups! I love the ECU's, it's awesome how they can add so much emphasis and reveal details that we can't find in wide shots. The beginning of the reel was great too, I loved the creativity. Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete